Software Driven Cloud Networking
Arista Software Driven Cloud Networking (SDCN)
SDCN combines the principles that have made cloud computing the unstoppable force that it is: automation, self service provisioning, and linear scaling of both performance and economics. Coupled with the recent trend in Software Driven Cloud Networking that delivers: network virtualization, custom programmability, simplified architectures, and more realistic price points to the table.
This combination creates a best-in-class software foundation for maximizing the value of the network to both the enterprise and service provider datacenter: a new architecture for the most mission-critical location within the IT infrastructure that simplifies management and provisioning, speeds up service delivery, lowers costs and creates opportunities for competitive differentiation, while putting control and visibility back in the hands of the network and systems administrators.
The Four Pillars of Arista’s Software Driven Cloud Networking are:
1: Universal Cloud Network
- Scalable standards-based MLAG for L2, ECMP for Layer 3
- Non Blocking Spline™ / Leaf-Spine for 50K-100K hosts
2: Cloud Control
- Standards Based EOS with AEM, ZTP / ZTR, LANZ, DANZ, RAIL etc.
- Automated Monitoring
3: Network Wide Virtualization
- Multi Vendor API Support with eAPI
- Support for VMware and NSX with VXLAN and VMTracer
- Support for Microsoft OMI and Openstack OVSDB
4: Network Applications & Automated Management
- Networked Applications for workload mobility, smart systems rollback and upgrades and workflow telemetry
- Single Point of Network-Wide State with no proprietary lock in CloudVision®
- Open-partner integration with Dell, HP, F5, Infinera, PAN, Microsoft, Red Hat, and VMware
OpenWorkload is a network application enabling open workload portability, automation through integration with leading virtualization and orchestration systems, and simplified troubleshooting by offering complete physical and virtual visibility.
Seamless Scaling – full support for network virtualization, connecting to major SDN controllers
Integrated Orchestration – interfaces to VMware, OpenStack, Microsoft, Chef, Puppet, Ansible and more to simplify provisioning
Workload Visibility to the VM-level, enabling portable policies, persistent monitoring, and rapid troubleshooting of cloud networks.
Arista EOS Network Applications
- Available on the 7050 Series, Arista DirectFlow is a mode that lets users configure flow handling via the CLI or Arista EOS APIs (eAPI).
- DirectFlow combines the flexibility of a programmable data plane with the reliability of proven routing and bridging technology.
- The matches and actions available for flows include those available in the OpenFlow 1.0 specifications, providing a standard match and action policy that the SDN community is familiar with.
- Arista DirectFlow is intended to complement OpenFlow for greater flexibility and broader ecosystem integration.
SDCN – Literature
We’re here to help!
Have some questions? Need a Demo?